Article 14: Children can choose their own thoughts, opinions and religions.
Article 31: Every child has the right to take part in cultural and creative activities.
On the 13th November, our Year 1 class were lucky to be invited to St James & St Bede Church to learn about what happens when someone gets christened or baptised. We used a doll and the children acted out the role of parents and godparents.
The Reverend Margaret then showed us, step by step, the process of the service:
- Light some candles
- Put on a special gown(stole)
- Use special oil to make the cross symbol – blessed from the Bishop at Durham Cathedral
- Turn the water into Holy water by saying a special prayer
- Baptise the baby, then wipe the water away from the head
- Everyone to clap for the baby who has been christened/baptised
We learned that a christening symbolises the start of your Christian journey through life and that you are becoming part of God’s family.